- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1992.
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 1981.
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University, 1979.
Jim Mulholland is a Professor Emeritus in the School of Civil & Environmental Engineering at Georgia Tech. He received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell in 1979, M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford in 1981, and Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from M.I.T. in 1992. Between M.S. and Ph.D., he worked for an energy R&D firm and as a research engineer at EPA's air research center. He has been on the faculty in the Environmental Engineering Program at Georgia Tech since 1993. His research includes study of the formation and control of air pollutants, in particular organic combustion byproducts, and air quality data analysis for use in epidemiologic studies.
- Combustion byproduct formation and control
- Thermochemistry of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and chlorinated aromatic species
- Molecular modeling
- Spatio-temporal analysis of ambient air pollutants
- X. Li, best PhD thesis, CEE, 2010
- CEE Appreciation Award, 2009
- AEES Environmental Engineering Professor Award, 2008
- K. Wade, best MS thesis, CEE, 2006
- Graduate Student Scholarship for thesis project (Duane Nakahata), Georgia Chapter of AWMA, 2000
- Georgia Tech Student Paper Competition (Yun Yang), SAIC, 1998
- Radiation Protection and Shielding Division Best Paper Award (with others), Am. Nuclear Society, 1996
- Pyke Johnson Award (with others), Transportation Res. Board; best paper in planning and admin., 1995
- Young Investigator Award, National Science Foundation, 1994
- Tau Beta Pi, Cornell University, 1979
- Valedictorian, Elyria High School, Elyria, OH, 1975
- Balachandran S, Baumann K, Pachon JE, Mulholland JA, Russell AG (2017). “Evaluation of fire weather forecasts using PM2.5 sensitivity analysis,” Atmos. Environ., 148:128-138.
- Henneman LRF, Liu C, Mulholland JA, Russell AG (2017). “Evaluating the effectiveness of air quality regulations: A review of accountability studies and frameworks,” J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc., 67:144-172.
- O’Lenick CR, Winquist A, Mulholland JA, Friberg MD, Chang HH, Kramer MR, Darrow LA, Sarnat SE (2017). “Assessment of neighborhood-level socioeconomic status as a modifier of air pollution-asthma associations among children in Atlanta,” J. Epidemiology & Community Health, 71:129–136.
- Krall JR, Mulholland JA, Russell AG, Balachandran S, Winquist A, Tolbert PE, Waller LA, Sarnat SE (2017). “Associations between source-apportioned particulate matter and emergency department visits for respiratory disease in four US cities,” Environ. Health Perspect., 125:97-103.
- Ye D, Klein M, Chang HH, Sarnat JA, Mulholland JA, Edgerton EE, Winquist A, Tolbert PE, Sarnat SSE (2017). “Estimating acute cardiorespiratory effects of ambient volatile organic compounds,” Epidemiology, in press. EDE16-0065R2
- Ivy D, Mulholland JA, Russell AG (2008). "Development of Ambient Air Quality Population-Weighted Metrics for Use in Time-Series Health Studies," J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc., in press.
- Cesunica Ivey, Heather Holmes, Yongtao Hu, James A. Mulholland, and Armistead G. Russell. Chapter 101, Spatial and Temporal Extension of a Novel Hybrid Source Apportionment Model. Air Pollution Modeling and its Application XXIII, Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2014.
- Sheila A. Sororian, Heather A. Holmes, Mariel Friberg, Cesunica Ivey, Yongtao Hu, James A. Mulholland, Armistead G. Russell, and Matthew J. Strickland. Chapter 49, Temporally and Spatially Resolved Air Pollution in Georgia Using Fused Ambient Monitor Data and Chemical Transport Model Results. Air Pollution Modeling and its Application XXIII, Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2014.
- Heather A. Holmes, Xinxin Zhai, Jeremiah Redman, Kyle Digby, Cesunica Ivey, Sivaraman Balachandran, Sheila A. Sororian, Mariel Friberg, Wenxian Zhang, Marissa L. Maier, Yongtao Hu, Armistead G. Russell, James A. Mulholland, and Howard H. Chang. Chapter 4, Improved Spatiotemporal Air Pollutant Mixture Characterization for Health Studies. Air Pollution Modeling and its Application XXIII, Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2014.
- Armistead Russell, Heather Holmes, Mariel Friberg, Cesunica Ivey, Yongtao Hu, Siv Balachandran, James Mulholland, Paige Tolbert, Jeremy Sarnat, Stefanie Sarnat, Matt Strickland, Howard Chang, and Yang Liu. Chapter 1, Use of Air Quality Modeling Results in Health Effects Research. Air Pollution Modeling and its Application XXIII, Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2014.
- HalûkÖzkaynak, Vlad Isakov, Lisa Baxter, Stephen E Graham, Stefanie Ebert Sarnat, Jeremy A Sarnat, James Mulholland, Barbara Turpin, David Q Rich, Melissa Lunden. “Evaluating Alternative Exposure Metrics Used for Multipollutant Air Quality and Human Health Studies,” Air Pollution Modeling and its Application XXII, NATO Science for Peace and Security Series C: Environmental Security 2014, pp 65-71.
- Tolbert P, Mulholland J, and MacIntosh D, "Air Quality and Pediatric Emergency Room Visits for Asthma in Atlanta." Report submitted to EPA as a comment on the proposed ambient ozone and particulate matter standard revisions, February 1997.
- Hertel N, Evans T, Mulholland J, and Robinson M, Health Risk Assessment for the Savannah River Site Consolidated Incineration Facility - Part 2: Chemical, GT/ERDA-94041-005, June 1995.
- Hertel N, Evans T, Coward HM, Mulholland J, and Robinson M, Health Risk Assessment for the Savannah River Site Consolidated Incineration Facility - Part 1: Radionuclide Emissions, GT/ERDA-94041-005, June 1995.
- Mulholland JA, Robinson MG, Hertel NE, and Coward HM, Air Emissions Estimate for the Savannah River Site Consolidated Incineration Facility - Part 2: Organic Emissions, GT/ERDA-94041-003, April 1995.
- Mulholland JA, Robinson MG, Hertel NE, Coward HM, and Nakahata DT, Air Emissions Estimate for the Savannah River Site Consolidated Incineration Facility - Part 1: Metal and Radionuclide Emissions, GT/ERDA-94041-002, April 1995.
- Ivey C, Holmes H, Hu Y, Russell A, Mulholland J. “Hybrid Chemical Transport-Receptor-Geostatistical Modeling for Spatial and Temporal Source Impact Assessment in Health Studies.” Platform presentation at the 12th International Global Atmospheric Chemistry Open Science Conference. Beijing, China, September 2012.
- Holmes HA, Maier ML, Friberg M, Balachandran S, Hu Y, Russell AG, Mulholland JA, Sarnat SE, Sarnat JA, Strickland MJ, Winquist A, Klein M, Tolbert PE. “Development of a mixtures characterization toolkit.” Poster presentation at the EPA Clean Air Research Centers Annual Meeting. Boston, Massachusetts, June 2012.
- Goldman GT, Mulholland JA, Russell AG, Gass K, Strickland MJ, Klein M, Flanders WD, Chang H, Tolbert PE, Waller LA. “Assessing ambient air pollution measurement error impacts in time-series epidemiologic studies.” Poster presentation at the EPA Clean Air Research Centers Annual Meeting. Boston, Massachusetts, June 2012.
- Sarnat JA, Sarnat SE, Kewada P, Klein M, Tolbert PE, Mulholland J, Russell AG, Isakov V, Crooks JL, Touma J, Özkaynak H. Issues related to examining short-term air pollution exposures and health effects: Atlanta as a case study. Community Modeling and the Analysis System Conference, Chapel Hill, NC, October 12, 2010.
- Peel JL, Metzger KB, Klein M, Flanders WD, Mulholland JA, Langberg JJ, Tolbert PE. Ambient Air Pollution and Arrhythmic Events in Patients with Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators, Atlanta, 1993-2002. American Thoracic Society Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA, May 2006.
- Firing of Pulverized Solvent Refined Coal, U.S. Patent No. 500P USC0100, 1985.