- Ph.D. Bioinformatics, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2016
- M.Sc. Applied Informatics, University of Montpellier (France), 2011
- M.Sc. Microbiology, Los Andes University (Colombia), 2010
- B.Sc. Biology, National University of Colombia (Colombia), 2009
Dr. Rodriguez-R earned his B.Sc. (Biology) degree from the National University of Colombia, following the concentration lines on Conservation Ecology and Molecular Plant Pathology. Next, he pursuit a M.Sc. (Microbiology) from Los Andes University, also in his native Colombia, followed by a second M.Sc. (Applied Informatics) from the University of Montpellier, in France, where he also worked as a researcher at the Research Institute for Development (IRD) with the sponsorship of the Region Languedoc-Rosillon (now Occitanie). After completing his degree, Dr. Rodriguez-R earned a Ph.D. in Bioinformatics from the Georgia Institute of Technology, after which he completed a 1.5-year postdoctoral fellowship. He now serves as Research Engineer for the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering of Georgia Tech.
He is the author of over three dozen papers and book chapters (about a third as first author) with over two thousand citations and an h-index of 23, has presented multiple workshops, seminars, and symposia on microbiome analysis for researchers and undergraduate educators, and has served as reviewer for several international journals. In addition, he has produced tens of bioinformatic tools and web interfaces including grid and cloud computing in a variety of programming languages and frameworks with over 6,000 downloads or online queries per month.
- Microbial Ecology & Evolution
- Microbiome Analysis
- Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Genomics and Metagenomics
- Sigma Xi, Georgia Tech Chapter 2017, Atlanta, USA 2017 Best Ph.D. Thesis Award
- International Society for Microbial Ecology (ISME) 2016, Montréal, Canada ISME Travel Award, ISME 16
- Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Biology 2015, Atlanta, USA School of Biology Graduate Excellence Award 2015
- Région Languedoc Roussillon (now Occitanie), France 2010, Montpellier, France Fellowship granted by the region to outstanding international students
- Evaluation-Orientation of Scientific Cooperation Program (ECOS) 2009, Montpellier, France Scientific Mission to Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD)
- Universidad Nacional de Colombia 2004, Bogotá, Colombia Award Matrícula de Honor
- Tsementzi•, Rodriguez-R LM•, et al. 2019. Ecogenomic characterization of widespread, closely- related SAR11 clades of the freshwater genus “Candidatus Fonsibacter” and proposal of Ca. Fonsibacter lacus sp. nov. Systematic and Applied Microbiology. • Equal contribution.
- Meziti A•, Tsementzi D•, Rodriguez-R LM•, et al. 2019. Quantifying the changes in genetic diversity within sequence-discrete bacterial populations across a spatial and temporal riverine gradient. The ISME Journal (in press). • Equal contribution.
- Rodriguez-R LM, Gunturu S, Harvey WT, Rosselló-Mora R, Cole JR, Tiedje JM, Konstantinidis KT. 2018. The Microbial Genomes Atlas (MiGA) webserver: taxonomic and gene diversity analysis of Archaea and Bacteria at the whole genome level. Nucl. Acids Res. 46(W1).
- Rodriguez-R LM•, Gunturu S•, Cole JR, Tiedje JM, Konstantinidis KT. 2018. Nonpareil 3: Fast estimation of metagenomic coverage and sequence diversity. mSystems 3(3). • Equal contrib.
- Rodriguez-R LM, Castro JC, Kyrpides NC, Cole JR, Tiedje JM, Konstantinidis KT. 2018. How much do rRNA gene surveys underestimate extant bacterial diversity? Appl. Env. Microbiol. 84(6).
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM) Microbe 2018; Atlanta, USA, 2018 Rodriguez-R LM, Tsementzi D, Luo C, Konstantinidis KT. Iterative subtractive binning of freshwater chronoseries metagenomes recovers nearly complete genomes from over four hundred novel species. Symposium.
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM) Microbe 2018; Atlanta, USA, 2018 Rodriguez-R LM, Gunturu S, Jain C, Tiedje JM, Cole JR, Konstantinidis KT. MiGA – The Microbial Genomes Atlas: Expanding the catalogued diversity of Archaea and Bacteria. Poster presentation and Poster Talk.
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM) Microbe 2016; Boston, USA, 2016 Rodriguez-R LM, Gunturu S, Luo C, Tiedje JM, Cole JR, Konstantinidis KT. Microbial Genomes Atlas: Standardizing Genome-based Taxonomic Analyses for Archaea and Bacteria. Oral presentation.
- 16th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology – ISME16; Montréal, Canada, 2016 Rodriguez-R LM, Tsementzi D, Luo C, Hatt JK, Konstantinidis KT. Biogeography and seasonal variation disentangled in microbial meta-communities of five connected lakes. Oral presentation.
- CDC, Division of High-consequence pathogens and pathology science seminar; Atlanta, USA, 2015 Rodriguez-R LM, Pena-Gonzalez A, Gee J, Konstantinidis K, Hoffmaster A. Increased utilization of WGS for molecular epidemiology investigations of anthrax and melioidosis. Invited talk.